obsessing over MYstory rather than HIStory.
It happens when we lose track of the big picture. It happens when we allow this “me” culture to degrade the Gospel into another “self-help” course. The truth is this: we were created BY God FOR God. It’s in our DNA to serve Him and accomplish His plans on this earth. We “get” to be a part of what He’s doing on this earth “through” us! But we forget this, and our lives can fall into a tailspin of doubt, fear and frustration.
The bible calls this “the futility of the mind” (Eph 4:17) and for me, it can happen like this:
- Comparing my personal journey with the journey of others
- Expecting God to lead and guide me according to my limited understanding of my life and the future.
- Seeking man’s promotion rather than God’s.
- Forgetting that, in the Kingdom of God, the first are last and the last, first.
- Viewing my self-worth through the lens of talent, knowledge or occupation
- and… (this one can be huge) believing a lie that says my talents will dry up if I’m not currently using or developing them.
It all boils down to this simple fact.
Unchecked, our ‘calling’, can become more important than ‘His plan’.
Here are a few ways I try to avoid/escape the trap:
- With a childlike faith, remember that “we are not our own, but were bought with a price… created for good works in Christ Jesus”
- Ask God (frequently!) to remind me that I am part of HIStory… and He doesn’t have to “fit” into MYstory.
- Avoid the paralysis that comes from over-thinking, and focus on simply taking the next step in the direction that God has already been leading me.(Thanks to Michael Hyatt for reminding me of this with his recent post.)
“Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT)